The increased activity of the sebaceous glands of the head leads to the fact that the hair quickly gets dirty and looks untidy within a few hours after washing. But oily hair can stay fresh longer if it is properly cared for. So what if you have oily hair? We invite you to figure out together what are the causes of this problem and how to get rid of it.
WHY HAIR IS OILY: 10 MAIN REASONS
Trichologists and dermatologists note that the hair itself cannot be oily, since they are devoid of sebaceous glands. The scalp is a completely different matter.
Vichy medical expert Ekaterina Turubara: “Sebaceous glands are attached to each follicle, in which the hair root is located. Normally, they produce the optimal amount of sebum to form the scalp’s hydrolipidic barrier and protect the length and ends of the hair from external influences. Disruption of the sebaceous glands leads to increased production of sebum, as a result of which the hair quickly becomes oily. When neglected, oily scalp can lead to dandruff and thinning hair, and before looking for a solution to these problems, you must first get rid of their source. “
What can cause such a reaction of the sebaceous glands? As a rule, oily hair is a consequence of internal or external causes, and sometimes – their synthesis.
- Food. A lot of flour and fatty foods, spicy foods, sweets – all this can increase the production of sebum.
- Incorrect shampooing regime . Fighting oily hair by stretching the periods between washes will not work. The only result of these experiments is that the hair is still greasy, nothing has changed.
- Care errors. Do not put oils on your scalp. Masks and other treatments are also created not for the roots, but for the length.
- Hormonal imbalance. A timely visit to an endocrinologist helped many women get rid of oily hair. The imbalance of male and female sex hormones in favor of the former, as a rule, leads to the active production of fat by the scalp and face.
- Lifestyle. Bad habits, inadequate night sleep and stress negatively affect both the condition of the scalp and the body as a whole.
- Ecology. The polluted air indirectly forces the sebaceous glands to strengthen the protective barrier of the skin. Oily hair roots are a common problem among metropolitan residents. Oddly enough, this phenomenon has a seasonality. As a rule, hair gets dirty even faster in summer due to the increased content of dust and other small particles that get on the scalp.
- Genetics. If your grandmother had to wash her hair every day, then you probably inherited very oily hair from her.
- Hair structure. Curls absorb sebum better than straight hair and look fresher at the roots longer.
- Some diseases. In particular, you should be checked for diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and thyroid gland.
- Constant wearing and occasional cleaning of hats. Do not forget that they quickly get greasy and stain your head.
If you already know why you have oily hair (or rather, scalp), get ready to transform your life a little. Do not worry, this transformation will ultimately bring only positive emotions, and the strands will become clean, crumbly and beautiful.
HOW TO GET RID OF OILY HAIR
What if your hair quickly becomes oily, and it is impossible to reduce daily stress, move from a big city to a small eco-friendly one or rewrite your DNA code? Our tips will help you, if not completely get rid of the oily hair at the roots, then significantly reduce it.
PROPER CARE FOR GREASY HAIR
Care begins with washing. Choose a shampoo with a mild base and pH neutral, designed specifically for oily hair. It is good to have piroctone olamine, salicylic acid, selenium, zinc, absorbent charcoal, or vitamins (A, C, E) in your oily hair cleanser. These substances restore a healthy balance to the scalp and help regulate sebum production.
Oily hair can and should be washed every day, but this should only be done with a properly selected and dermatologically tested product. In the process of washing, do not turn on too hot water: it dries out the skin for a short time, but in the future the sebaceous glands will respond with a compensatory release of sebum.
These two good beauty habits will help you keep your hair clean after shampooing:
- Do not touch your hair with your fingers. The palms themselves produce sebum, which is absolutely unnecessary for the hair. Pay attention to the tutorials of professionals: during the styling process, hairdressers prefer to pick up the strands with a round comb, rather than with their hands.
- Use dry shampoo periodically. It absorbs sebum, leaving hair looking light, clean and voluminous. Check out Detox Dry Shampoo with Kaolin and Spirulina, which instantly refreshes hair and regulates sebum production for 24 hours.
DIET WITH INCREASED OILY HAIR
This is not about a strict diet, but about proper nutrition. Excessive production of sebum by the skin is stimulated by spices, sausages, sources of fast carbohydrates (sugary drinks, pastries, chocolate bars), as well as smoking. Here’s what will help the body to normalize the sebaceous glands:
- vegetables in any form;
- various types of salad;
- fruit and vegetable juices rich in vitamins A and C (for example, freshly squeezed carrot and orange);
- chicken meat;
- raw fruits.
CONSULTATION WITH A SPECIALIST
An appointment with a trichologist will allow you to accurately determine the condition of the scalp, and after examining the scalp, the specialist will give you recommendations for care, taking into account your individual characteristics. Consultation with a therapist, endocrinologist and gastroenterologist is also necessary to exclude chronic diseases. In addition, if the tests confirm the deficiency of vitamins A, C, E or B vitamins, it is better to select a high-quality complex of dietary supplements not on your own, but under the supervision of a doctor.
REMEDIES FOR OILY HAIR VICHY
It is very important to choose how you will wash your oily hair, at least half of the success depends on it. There are three shampoos in the Vichy Dercos range that will provide your scalp with a high-quality and gentle cleansing.
DEEP CLEANSING SHAMPOO
A deep cleansing shampoo you can use every day. Delicate formula, long-lasting freshness and detox effect – all that a scalp prone to oily needs.
What we value in the composition: spirulina extract for detoxification and antioxidant protection of the skin, charcoal, which absorbs the secretion of the sebaceous glands, and the complete absence of silicones.
What result we expect: the hair is clean, light and crumbly, voluminous at the roots.
This shampoo restores a healthy balance to the scalp and slows down the distribution of sebum.
What we value in the composition: salicylic acid, known for its exfoliating and anti-inflammatory properties, Anti-Sebum complex and Vichy volcanic thermal water. The formula does not contain silicones.
What result we expect: hair is more voluminous and lighter, more manageable in styling and keeps clean for a long time.
ANTI-DANDRUFF REMEDY FOR OILY SCALP
Scientific research from Vichy’s lab has shown that dandruff is directly linked to imbalances in the skin’s microbiome. Intensive care shampoo with selenium for normal to oily hair is able to remove dandruff after the first application and gradually restores the microbiome balance of the scalp.
What we value in the composition: The sulfate-free formula is fortified with Selenium DS with proven efficacy against the Malassezia fungus. Salicylic acid has an exfoliating effect, vitamin E reduces the damaging effects of free radicals on hair and skin cells.
What result do we expect: discomfort and itching of the scalp are removed, and greasy dandruff is eliminated.
ANSWERS TO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT OILY HAIR
Why does the oil on the scalp increase on vacation? What to do if hair is very oily immediately after washing? We answer the readers’ questions.
WHAT TO DO IF FOLK REMEDIES FOR OILY HAIR CAUSE ALLERGIES?
Folk recipes of this kind do include strong irritating ingredients: alcohol, vinegar or pure citric acid. It is much safer to use a dermatologist-approved pharmacy. In addition, their effectiveness is not comparable to the effect of homemade masks and decoctions.
WHY DOES MY HAIR QUICKLY GET OILY WHEN TRAVELING?
The reason can be complex: stress from the trip itself, change of water and the usual routine of washing your hair, different food, different climate. We recommend taking with you special shampoos for oily scalp and dry shampoo in case you cannot wash your hair at the usual time.
WHAT TO DO IF YOUR HAIR IS PERMANENTLY OILY, WITHIN TWO HOURS AFTER WASHING?
Very oily hair is a likely manifestation of internal problems. Be sure to consult with your doctors. Also try filtering the water and change to a deep cleansing shampoo with a delicate base. Redefine your cosmetic habits. Eliminate all products containing oils, silicones and other nutrients from the “diet” of your hair. Temporarily stop blow-drying and styling.
HOW TO DEAL WITH OILY HAIR AT THE ROOTS SO AS NOT TO DAMAGE DRY ENDS?
Owners of long hair are often faced with the fact that the roots of the hair are oily, and the ends are dry, porous and damaged. Sebum simply does not spread over its entire length. Frequent brushing (wash your comb several times a week) and the right approach to shampooing will help. Apply oil-free cleansers only at the roots, and apply concentrated nourishing and regenerating masks such as Vichy Nutri Protein to the ends.