How to run correctly. Running from scratch
Running is considered one of the most effective and affordable weight loss methods. Therefore, the majority of those who are losing weight, seeking to lose as many kilograms as possible in a short period of time, choose it. But does it really help in the fight against being overweight? How to run properly to exercise health benefits? We will analyze these and other questions in more detail in this article.
Running is a fairly intense and difficult sport. Especially for people with extra pounds: the load on the spine and joints increases, and unpleasant, even painful sensations arise. In addition, severe shortness of breath appears, and blood pressure can seriously increase. Therefore, beginners who start training from scratch need to be extremely careful, and attentive to their own bodies and well-being. There are the following basic rules:
- choose a training program, their number per week, and intensity – it is better with a specialist;
- it is optimal that the training begins with a light joint warm-up. It is worth paying special attention to the knees – it is they who bear the main load during the lesson. Duration – 5-7 minutes;
- It is necessary to end the workout with light stretching: this way the muscles will recover faster. Duration – 5-10 minutes;
- beginners need to build up their jogging time gradually. For the first time, 5-7 minutes of light jogging will be enough.
For 1.5-2 hours before jogging, you need to arrange a modest meal. It is optimal that most of it come from protein and carbohydrates – this is the energy that the body needs during exercise.
What is running and why is it needed
Running is classified as an aerobic exercise. During training, the cells of the body are actively saturated with oxygen, which brings the following benefits:
- strengthening the cardiovascular system;
- prevention of blood clots, and cholesterol plaques;
- strengthening of immunity;
- increased efficiency improved memory;
- normalization of metabolic processes;
- lowering cholesterol levels;
- general improvement in well-being.
Running benefits the entire body by increasing blood circulation. In addition, while jogging, the “hormone of happiness” is actively released – serotonin, which improves mood and helps fight insomnia. Regular exercise also helps to strengthen the muscles of the legs, abdomen, and hips.
What clothes are best for running in summer and winter
Workout clothing should always be suitable for the weather, as it has the important function of regulating heat transfer. You should not focus on the season, winter or summer, it is better to pay attention to the ambient temperature:
- From -3 ºС to +10 ºС: thin hat or bandage for ears, windbreaker or sleeveless jacket with a hood in case of rain, turtleneck or sweatshirt, T-shirt or T-shirt made of high-quality breathable material, insulated trousers.
- From +10 ºС to +20 ºС: bandage on ears or baseball cap, T-shirt, light sweatshirt or windbreaker, if it is raining or strong cold wind outside, leggings or trousers without insulation.
- From +20 ºС and above T-shirt or T-shirt made of high quality, breathable material, shorts or leggings.
- Below -3 ºС: hat, thermal underwear, sports jacket and warm pants. In winter, special attention should be paid to protecting the body, do not forget about the scarf and gloves.
The set of clothes should be washed regularly. For this, it is recommended to use a hypoallergenic powder suitable for daily use.
Choosing the right and comfortable running shoes
Shoes are an important component of running right after clothing. Choosing the right sneakers will make your workout not only comfortable, but also safe. With it, you should pay attention to the following criteria:
- Lightness: do not purchase sneakers with a powerful, heavy platform;
- seasonality: for the winter period, you should take completely closed shoes, in the summer you can run in light sneakers with mesh inserts;
- safety: the leg must be securely fixed;
- Cushioning: Shoes must have special cushioning plates in the midfoot. Usually in this place there is a notch, a small depression.
It is better to buy shoes in a specialized store. Good running shoes will last a long time, while providing safety, comfort and comfort while you run.
How to run to lose weight
In order for the training to be successful, after it there were no injuries, the mood did not disappear – you must run correctly. Distance calculation, intensity, duration – it all depends on the initial body weight of a person.
Let’s take a closer look at how weight and running are related.
- If the body weight is over 110 kilograms: intense training is contraindicated, as the risk of injury increases. It is recommended to alternate between running and walking: run 80-100 meters, walk the same amount. Start with 10-15 minutes, gradually increasing the duration to 30-40 minutes.
- From 85 to 110 kilograms: Light jogging is recommended. You can also combine it with walking, but in a different way. For example, two minutes of running are followed by a minute of rest in the form of walking. The duration of the workouts is from 20 to 40 minutes.
- From 60 to 85 kilograms: jogging without rest for up to one hour.
Do not hope that long-term grueling workouts will help you lose weight for a long time. After a week of such violence against oneself, the desire to run will disappear, classes will come to naught. Therefore, the schedule of runs, their intensity, duration – must be chosen carefully.
Slimming jogging in the leg and abdomen area
Fat burning does not start from the first minutes of the class. It is important to reach a certain stage, which is called the aerobic zone. How to understand that it has arrived? The pulse will prompt. The fat burning interval is considered to be a reading equal to 60-70% of the maximum heart rate (MPR). But it is not enough just to come to it, it is important to keep it for 20-30 minutes.
The maximum heart rate is calculated using a simple formula: “220 – age in years.” For a girl at the age of 22, MPI = 220-22 = 198.
In addition to the aerobic zone, there are others:
- rest – 35-40% of the MPI;
- warm-up – 50-60% of the MPI;
- aerobic – 60-70% of the MPI;
- endurance – 80-90% of the MPI;
- dangerous – 90-95% of the MPI.
The pulse must be monitored throughout the workout. This will help not only reduce weight, but also protect yourself from various negative consequences.
Contraindications to running for weight loss
Many people think that jogging is universal, suitable for every type of training. In fact, this is far from the case. There is a list of contraindications, which includes the following items:
- joint diseases;
- pathology of the organs of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems;
- colds and flu, especially if there is an increase in temperature;
- diseases in the acute phase: active training can worsen the condition;
- myopia, glaucoma: intense exercise can cause retinal detachment.
In addition, classes may be contraindicated in older people. In any case, you can run or not – a question that everyone just needs to ask a specialist.
Safe and correct running technique
The main thing while running is not to harm your health. To do this, you must strictly observe safety precautions:
- It is optimal to start with a brisk walk and gradually move to a slow run. So the training will be easier, there will be no severe shortness of breath, increased heart rate.
- During jogging, the body should be slightly tilted, arms bent at the elbows.
- The amplitude of hand movements should be small, it should help, and not derail the rhythm.
- It is necessary to breathe through the nose. If you want to breathe in with your mouth, take a sharp breath or exhale, then you need to slow down, restore the heart rate.
- You need to do it only in comfortable clothes and shoes. It should be light, not impede movement. Women are advised to pay attention to special sports bras that support their breasts while running.
- Each movement should be smooth, even, as sudden jumps or steps can cause injury.
Maintaining health and getting a positive result from training is possible only with strict adherence to the technique of their implementation. Otherwise, jogging can be replaced by endless healing.
Jogging is the most common type of workout. It is usually slow, unhurried, comparable in intensity to brisk walking. One such lesson should last at least 30-40 minutes. During this time, the pulse reaches the aerobic stage, at which the process of intense calorie burning begins.
The coward not only improves the figure, but also has a beneficial effect on health, improves well-being.
Many people know shuttle running since school. This is a good way to diversify your workout routine. These short runs can be used as part of jogging or as a warm-up.
Shuttle running has a good effect on the central nervous system, improves reaction, concentration.
Sprint is a running with maximum acceleration. Of course, jogging in such a rhythm cannot last about 30-40 minutes, but with such intense sections you can start or end a lesson, they can be inserted every 5-7 minutes of measured jogging. This will allow you to burn more calories, strengthen muscles, and increase endurance.
Interval training is considered to be the most effective in the sports community. They involve alternating work and rest, running and walking. So the body does not have time to get used to it, each new step for it is something new, requiring strength. Therefore, the aerobic heart rate zone is reached much faster, and the process of intense calorie burning occurs earlier.
Below is an eight week blended workout program that starts with interval training and gradually progresses to jogging.
Best places to run
The best place to train is a specially designated one. These can be school stadiums or sports grounds. Regular asphalt is a very rough, hard surface that does not absorb well. Every step or jump is a tremendous strain on the joints, which even the highest quality running shoes cannot compensate for.
Another option is country roads or parks. The absence of a rough covering reduces the load on the joints, the spine, and makes jogging safer. In addition, changing terrain, alternating heights, various obstacles on the way will burn more calories due to alternating types of load.
For quick temporary weight loss, running on a treadmill will be no less effective.
Running training program
Increasing the duration and intensity of your workouts is recommended gradually. This will help the body adapt, get used to the new type of load. The following table shows the course program for 8 weeks.
|1 Week||Running: 1 minuteWalking: 2 minutesReps: 5-7||Relaxation||Running: 1 minuteWalking: 2 minutesThe number of repetitions – 5-7||Relaxation||Running: 1 minuteWalking: 2 minutesReps: 5-7||Running: 1 minuteWalking: 2 minutesReps: 7-9||Relaxation|
|2 week||Running: 1 minuteWalking: 1 minuteReps: 7-9||Relaxation||Running: 1 minuteWalking: 1 minuteReps: 7-9||Relaxation||Running: 1 minuteWalking: 1 minuteReps: 7-9||Running: 1 minuteWalking: 1 minuteReps: 10||Relaxation|
|3 week||Running: 2 minutesWalking: 1 minuteReps: 7-9||Relaxation||Running: 2 minutesWalking: 1 minuteReps: 7-9||Relaxation||Running: 2 minutesWalking: 1 minuteReps: 7-9||Running: 2 minutesWalking: 1 minuteReps: 10||Relaxation|
|4 week||Running: 4-5 minutesWalking: 1 minuteReps: 5-6||Relaxation||Running: 4-5 minutesWalking: 1 minuteReps: 5-6||Relaxation||Running: 4-5 minutesWalking: 1 minuteReps: 5-6||Running: 4-5 minutesWalking: 1 minuteReps: 5-6||Relaxation|
|5 week||Running: 6-8 minutesWalking: 1 minuteNumber of repetitions: up to 5||Relaxation||Running: 6-8 minutesWalking: 1 minuteNumber of repetitions: up to 5||Relaxation||Running: 6-8 minutesWalking: 1 minuteNumber of repetitions: up to 5||Running: 6-8 minutesWalking: 1 minuteNumber of repetitions: up to 5||Relaxation|
|6 week||Running: 15 minutesWalking: 1-2 minutesRunning: 15 minutes||Relaxation||Running: 15 minutesWalking: 1-2 minutesRunning: 15 minutes||Relaxation||Running: 15 minutesWalking: 1-2 minutesRunning: 15 minutes||Running: 15 minutesWalking: 1-2 minutesRunning: 15 minutes||Relaxation|
|7 week||Running: 20 minutesWalking: 1-2 minutesRunning: 20 minutes||Relaxation||Running: 20 minutesWalking: 1-2 minutesRunning: 20 minutes||Relaxation||Running: 20 minutesWalking: 1-2 minutesRunning: 20 minutes||Running: 20 minutesWalking: 1-2 minutesRunning: 20 minutes||Relaxation|
|8 week||Running: 30 minutesWalking: 1-2 minutesRun: 10 minutes ***||Relaxation||Running: 30 minutesWalking: 1-2 minutesRun: 10 minutes ***||Relaxation||Running: 30 minutesWalking: 1-2 minutesRun: 10 minutes ***||Running: 30 minutesWalking: 1-2 minutesRun: 10 minutes ***||Relaxation|
*** can be skipped, end by walking
At the end of the eighth week, you can start over or go jogging for an hour.
How to regulate the load while running
Until training has become permanent, habitual, you need to be careful about your own well-being, adjusting the load while running. This will help you find the most comfortable individual rhythm that you can maintain throughout your workout.
How to understand that the load is suitable for the body? The first criterion is breathing. It is optimal when a person during training does not feel the desire to take a strong breath or exhale, but can maintain a conversation with a jogging partner.
Another criterion is pulse. As already mentioned, it must be in the aerobic zone.
What to do if you can’t run anymore
If during training you feel discomfort, you want to move from running to walking, it means that initially the load was chosen incorrectly. You always need to choose the intensity, duration, focusing on your own physical data. It is better to gradually switch to jogging, alternate it with walking longer, but give the body the opportunity to get used to it, to adapt to a new type of activity.
If you can’t run further, painful sensations appear in the abdomen or joints, you must immediately stop running and restore breathing with the help of inhalation and exhalation. It is better not to stand still during this, but to walk slowly. This will improve blood circulation, help the body to recover faster.
What to do if it gets bad
If you experience any painful or unpleasant sensations, you must immediately switch from running to walking, try to restore your breathing, put your pulse in order, and your health. If the heart is still beating wildly, there is darkening in the eyes, dizziness or nausea, it is better to seek the help of specialists, since all this can cause a hypertensive crisis.
You should also seek emergency medical attention in case of injuries. Only a specialist, focusing on X-rays, can understand what caused the pain.
What to eat and drink before and after running
The food before and after your workout largely determines the effectiveness of your workout. It is especially important to eat before class in the morning: the body needs enough energy to start all the processes after sleep and withstand the stress of training.
General dietary guidelines:
- 15-20 minutes before training, you need to eat something carbohydrate: any fruit or whole grain toast. The calorie content of such a meal should be no more than 200 kilocalories;
- if the workout falls in the evening, then 2-3 hours before class you need to eat. This can be a small piece of dietary white meat (about 100-150 grams) and vegetables or an omelet;
- Before, during and after training, you should drink water in small portions. It is optimal to drink 100 milliliters of pure water every 15 minutes of jogging – this is a few small sips;
- an hour and a half after training, you need to eat a portion of protein and fiber. Lean meats, cereals and vegetables are also good.
Do not consume sugar beverages before or during your workout. It gives only a temporary, short-lived effect, followed by a decline in strength.
How to breathe correctly while running
Correct breathing while running is a guarantee that the workout will be as efficient and safe as possible. General requirements:
- clean air: if possible, run away from roads, factories and industrial enterprises;
- deep breathing: it is best to take a calm breath and exhale the same. Do not inhale and exhale sharply, this can disrupt the rhythm, cause shortness of breath;
- rhythm and frequency: the number of steps during inhalation and exhalation should be the same. For example, inhale for four, exhale for the same amount. This approach will help you catch a single rhythm and make your workout longer. In addition, constant counting will distract from fatigue;
- no holding of breath: lack of oxygen can cause dizziness, shortness of breath.
It is recommended for beginners to devote their first workouts to the selection of their own rhythm, to calculate how many times it is necessary to step on one inhalation and exhalation, to understand how deep breathing affects the well-being and duration of the workout.
Why you need a heart rate monitor for running
As already mentioned, heart rate is one of the main criteria reflecting the quality of a workout. While running, it is very inconvenient to independently calculate the number of heart beats per minute. And the electronic device will do everything by itself.
Heart rate monitors vary in appearance, but in most cases they are small, compact, and lightweight. They are attached to the wrist or chest area.
The safest workout for a beginner
Beginners have many questions regarding jogging: jogging in the morning or evening, on an empty stomach or after a snack, how many times a day and a week? In fact, each item is selected strictly individually, but the general safety recommendations are the same:
- Start and end your run by walking.
- Choose comfortable shoes and clothes, taking into account the weather.
- Monitor the position of the body: do not tilt the body too much, do not make sudden movements.
- Place the foot firmly on the surface. Don’t land on your toes or heels.
- Breathe evenly and deeply.
The main thing for a beginner is not to overdo it, otherwise the very first workout can be replaced by long-term treatment.
Differences in training for men and women
There is no difference between training for men and women. Each person independently chooses a training program, intensity and duration, focusing on their own physical data and health.
The only difference is the equipment. Women should pay special attention to the selection of a special sports bra. In addition, postpartum girls may need a spine brace to reduce the stress on the vertebrae and discs while running.
When to expect results
The first results can appear after 4-6 weeks of training. In the early stages, there is an improvement in the condition of the skin (it becomes smoother, more elastic), strengthening of muscles, and a slight decrease in volume. Unfortunately, it will not be possible to remove the stomach or lose a lot of weight in a few sessions. Long, painstaking work is required, which also includes the selection of the correct, balanced diet, and work with a psychologist to change eating habits and self-acceptance.