AN EXPERT LOOK AT ROUTINE HAIR CARE
A hair conditioner is an indispensable companion to shampoo, without which it is already difficult to imagine bathroom shelves. Is it really necessary after every shampoo for hair care? In the new Vichy Mag article, we turn to an expert to find out why you need a hair conditioner, how to use it if our goal is beautiful and healthy hair and also tell you how to choose a conditioner based on the type and condition of your hair.
WHY YOU NEED HAIR CONDITIONER
It is often believed on online forums that hair conditioner provides optimal hydration – and that is where it ends. In fact, balms and conditioners (these products perform similar functions, and therefore the specialists in the field of hair care classify them in the same category of caring cosmetics) can do more: using them after washing your hair allows you to create an invisible protective film around each hair shaft. As a result, strands are less prone to damage during combing and styling, retain moisture well, and become elastic, smooth, and shiny.
Vichy medical expert Ekaterina Turubara: “Most shampoos and tap water with, as a rule, alkaline pH violate the tightness of the cuticle scales – the top layer of the hair shaft. After washing, the balm restores the uniformity of the cuticle, thereby protecting the hair from frizz, nodules, and injury, which is what a hair conditioner is for in the first place. Modern balms and conditioners differ in texture and composition, so finding the right one for you is no longer a problem. “
What makes a quality hair conditioner?
- Responsible for the restoration of the structure of hair damaged by frequent staining or other chemical and physical influences.
- Makes hair manageable, detangles and reduces frizz.
- Smoothes the cuticular layer, increasing its ability to retain moisture.
- Facilitates combing.
- Improves the appearance of strands without concealing root volume.
- Restores shine to dull, porous hair.
- Increases the visual density and density of the hair.
- Reduces sectioning of hair ends.
One bottle cannot cope with all tasks at the same time, because, for example, for oily hair, a lighter formula is needed, and for dry hair, a more nutritious one is. Trichologists recommend determining your hair type and need before deciding which conditioner to choose.
Read Also :- 10 Best Foods To Control Blood Sugar
HOW TO CHOOSE A HAIR CONDITIONER FOR HAIR CARE
Now that we know what hair conditioner is, the last step is to make the right choice. Focus on the main problem of your strands. And if you find it difficult to determine it yourself, go through the Vichy Dercos online diagnosis.
PROBLEM – DULL HAIR, PRONE TO DRYNESS ALONG THE LENGTH OR ENDS (WHILE THE SCALP CAN BE DRY, NORMAL, OR OILY)
Conditioners and balms with antioxidants, smoothing, and moisturizing ingredients in the composition will suit you.
Look out for Nutrients Shine Conditioner.
What we value in the composition:
- aloe vera extract – rich in vitamins, amino acids, and minerals, increases hair hydration by 34% and effectively softens;
- acai berries – known for antioxidant activity and high content of fatty polyunsaturated acids, vitamins A, C, and E;
- the formula does not contain silicones.
What we expect: the hair looks vibrant and silky, the strands are moisturized and smoothed to a mirror-like shine.
PROBLEM – BRITTLE HAIR, WEAKENED IN LENGTH, PRONE TO HAIR LOSS
To strengthen the hair and hair follicles, care with strengthening substances that have the ability to build into damaged areas of the hair shaft, ceramides, and aminexil, a molecule with a proven anti-thinning effect, is necessary.
What we pay attention to Aminexil tonic strengthening conditioner against hair loss.
What we value in the composition:
- aminexil – stops the accumulation of collagen around the hair follicles, preventing their weakening and loss;
- a strengthening complex based on ceramide, vitamins PP, B5, and B6 – acts directly on brittle zones, restoring the structure of the hair and creating a protective membrane on its surface.
What result we expect: fragility is reduced, and hair is well-groomed, light, strong, and easy to comb.
THE PROBLEM – THE HAIR IS THINNED, LACKING DENSITY AND VOLUME
An excellent solution would be a complex effect: thickening – on the length and stimulating – on the scalp.
What we pay attention to Densi-Solutions Sealing Restoring Balm.
What we value in the composition:
- vitamin E – an antioxidant with nourishing and moisturizing properties;
- rhamnose is a vegetable sugar that has a beneficial effect on the scalp and the formation of hair tissue in the follicles;
- ceramide – a natural “building block” of the hair shaft, strengthens the hair’s hydrolipidic barrier.
What result we expect: hair is denser, voluminous and resistant to external damage.
HOW TO USE HAIR CONDITIONER FOR HAIR CARE
Even the best conditioners with a modern technological formula must be applied correctly, otherwise their effectiveness will drop. So, conditioners should not be distributed over wet hair – the formula diluted with water loses the concentration of active compounds. Ekaterina Turubara explains how to use hair conditioner and get the most out of it.
WHEN TO APPLY CONDITIONER
Use conditioner as a second step after shampooing. It “closes” the cuticle, smoothes hair and simplifies subsequent styling.
It is believed that there are conditions when it is not necessary to apply hair conditioner at all, that is, this step is skipped. Let us briefly consider each such case.
- Hair is dyed, the nourishing formula of the conditioner will accelerate the washout of the dye. Not really, most conditioners work well for colored hair. After discoloration or any other aggressive chemical attack, rinse-off care is required.
- Hair is short, shampoo is enough for them. Short haircuts are not a reason to abandon the conditioner, it disciplines the strands and makes styling much easier. Short hair, after suitable rinse-off treatment, looks more well-groomed and lies more obediently in the hairstyle.
- If there is already a mask in the care, another care will be superfluous. Is hair conditioner needed in such cases? Yes, these products have different focus: the mask deeply nourishes and regenerates, while the main task of the conditioner is to ensure a snug fit of the cuticle scales to the hair shaft after washing. In addition, we return to the mask, on average, once a week as an additional treatment, and to the conditioner – after each hair wash.
By the way, the owners of very dry and damaged strands are advised by experts in the field of hair care to use the mask and conditioner at the same time, without spreading them on different days. Then, after washing, first a mask is applied, then a conditioner. For thin hair, such care is contraindicated, it will significantly weigh them down.
WHERE AND HOW TO PROPERLY APPLY HAIR CONDITIONER
As a general rule, conditioners and balms are applied indented from the scalp (5-10 cm), spreading to the ends of the hair. This principle avoids the need to wash your hair frequently: the nutrient composition of the conditioner, which often contains oils, is not designed to be in contact with the skin.
However, there are exceptions. For example, Densi-Solutions balm does not contain substances that would be contraindicated for the scalp. On the contrary, it improves its condition and normalizes the functioning of hair follicles. Where to apply this type of hair conditioner? Massage them over both the scalp and the strands.
Let the product work and wash off with warm water. Cold or, conversely, too hot water will not work. High temperatures can increase the production of sebum, while low temperatures can cause vasospasm in the skin layers, which, in turn, impairs the nutrition of the hair roots.
DO I NEED TO RINSE OFF MY HAIR CONDITIONER
Some sources recommend using the conditioner as a leave-in serum or just not rinsing it off completely. This has its own logic: a concentrated formula will last longer, which means it will bring more benefits. And why rinse hair conditioner then?
Vichy medical expert Ekaterina Turubara: “When it dries, the conditioner will cover the hair with a too thick film, make the strands heavier and accelerate their contamination. For this reason, any rinse-off care should not be left on for longer than the time indicated by the manufacturer. Rub your hair with your fingers, and then rub your fingers together – if they slip, the product is not rinsed thoroughly enough. “
So the answer to the question “is it necessary to flush the conditioner for a question”, the answer is yes. The exception may be special live-in conditioners, but, in essence, these are leave-in creams and serums with a conditioning effect.
DO I NEED TO CHANGE MY HAIR CONDITIONER FROM TIME TO TIME?
On beauty forums, there are often opinions about addiction to balms, conditioners, masks and hair rinses. It seems that until recently, the remedy showed excellent results, but after a few weeks it faded away. Is it true that hair gets used to grooming in general and conditioners in particular?
Vichy medical expert Ekaterina Turubara: “It’s more of a psychological addiction. The quality of the hair is significantly improved, frizz and dullness pass, split ends look neat. We take this as normal and look forward to further improvements. But they will not be if the hair is healthy. A conditioner change is only required when the needs and condition of the hair changes. For example, after a vacation on the seaside, you will need an intensively regenerating and moisturizing conditioner, in winter a more nutritious agent will not interfere, after staining – deeply reconstructing. Throughout the year, your treatment can include up to 3-4 different conditioners. “
Conditioner is an indispensable care if you want to be proud of your hair. Choose only quality products with active substances, whose effectiveness has been proven by scientific means. Most importantly, you and your hair should like your conditioner.